Monday, September 23, 2013

The gumboots request!

As far as skin tone is concerned, I'm a thousand shades darker

I lived with my grandma and grandpa until the age of 6. My parents had left me with them as they lived abroad, working and making money to support the family.

I have two sisters - one sister was left with my paternal grandparents and the younger one was taken to stay with me mum and dad.

I remember walking in pouring showers, my black shoes and socks getting all wet as I left the school grounds and walking home with grandma.

It was then that I popped the question - I wanted gum boots like the other boys and asked if she could buy me some.

Her answer - Get your mama to buy you some when she comes to visit us in the summer.

I don't understand why that memory has stayed with me all these years. I must have been about 4 or 5 years of age and yet I remember that conversation like it happened only yesterday.

Was I hurt that she did not or could not buy me some gum boots for my soaking feet?

Was it a case of the lightbulb coming on - "Hey, she's right! I can ask my mother, whom I hardly see, for gum boots!"

Whatever the reason, that pouring rain, the soaking feet and possibly a grandma, that must have just been busy or pragmatic, the memory of that question stayed!

I never got those gum boots - guess I forgot to ask me mama for the boots, because who the hell remembers to ask for gumboots in the summer!

This is the kind of shenanigans I would be up to, had I got the boots

No comments:

Post a Comment